Friday 14 December 2012

You couldn't make it up. But they do.

Thai Lottery... and Other Stories from Pattaya, Thailand, is set in the most notorious town of a country which often seems synonymous with the sex industry.

As I was writing the book, I became increasingly aware of the preconceptions that many people have about the country. It is rich in culture, famed for it's food and hospitality and may just be the best place in the world to take a family holiday. Yet a man who tells his friends that he is visiting Thailand is inviting a knowing glance, a telling wink and a conspiratorial, "well we know what you will be getting up to then". I am acutely aware that my books may not help matters, because Thai Lottery tells the stories of the people who come to Thailand because of its "adult offering" and of the girls they meet. But it is a work of fiction. I was intrigued by what the media had to say.

I started to scour the TV listings, YouTube and the printed press to see their take on Thailand. The message was unanimous. It's is a sink hole of depravity, where the average visitor will be ripped off before he makes it out of the airport and if you throw a stick in the street you will hit at least a couple of women who are for sale for the change in your pocket.

My book tries to portray and more complex Thailand, the stories seek to see things from the Thai perspective too. I was finding the stereotype offensive. Lazy journalists looking for a story to support a prejudice firmly established in people's minds. As this blog develops I plan on looking at some of the worst offenders, including the "documentary" makers who can't be bothered to find the facts because they may not fit the conclusions they have already drawn.

My book focuses on the darker side of life in Thailand but it is fiction. These guys present their work as fact.

Please come back to see my reviews of how the media portrays Thailand

Thai Lottery can be found at www.thai-lottery.net

Also check out the travails of a first time author at http://everyonehasagoodbookinthem.blogspot.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment